For centuries, herbal medicine has been widely
accepted practice in preventive medicine. As a part of what is considered
natural medicine, the use of herbs whether in fresh dried tea, tincture or
capsule form, has proven to be effective with most people in curing, if not
alleviating, most health problems.
The history of medicine is really the history of
plants used in medicine.
While pharmaceutical companies worldwide invest
huge sums of money on the research of the medicinal properties of plants, there
is a resurgence of an age-old trend - the actual application and/or oral
consumption of fresh and dried plants as teas, poultices, and oils to prevent,
manage and fight disease. Interest in the use of medicinal plants and folk
medicine as practiced in Ancient China, India, and the Philippines has been
Dr. Edward Bach, a young physician, gave up his practice when he
discovered that the medicines he prescribed to his patients did more harm than
good. Thus, he combined the English countryside in search of help from nature.
He discovered 38 flowers that helped overcome the twelve negative states of mind
leading to disease. Some of them included: fear, doubt, indecision,
indifference, self-distrust, pride and aloofness.
- Aloe Vera
- soothes stomach lining. 1 to 2 tsps. in hot water.
- acts as a cleanser. High in iron and helps fight infections.
- Mint / Peppermint
- calming tea.
- Sage / Chamomile /
Marjoram - antiseptic and nerve-calming. To be taken before
- improves digestion.
- Panax Ginseng
- good for prostate problems. Helps increase the male hormone testosterone.
- Siberian Ginseng
- energy booster.
- great for stomach and throat problems. Presently going tests along tumeric
for its anti-tumor properties.
- roots and flowers are great as a diuretic.
- strong diuretic properties.
- strengthens the immune system. Take one capsule daily or make a tea.
- Apple Cider
Vinegar - helps in digestion and increases resistance to
- purifies the blood.
- an old Italian trick to settle the stomach after over eating. A good
- good for the liver. Regulates menstrual cycle.
- rich in betacarotene.
- good cleanser and relaxant.
- rich in vitamin C.
- great antispasmodic.
- a good cleanser and tonic.
- potassium drink.
- Citrus (guava
/ lemon / dalandan / dayap / calamansi / lime) - rich in vitamin
C. Good for the skin.
- good for hangovers. Cleanses the kidneys and urinary tract. Two ounces
distilled water + two ounces cranberry juice, two to three times daily.
- energy booster.
- high in natural sugar.
- helps cleanse the bowels.
- Almonds Milk
- energy drink. Add nutmeg or cinnamon to enhance flavor.
- Powerhouse Drink
- Tonic for energy. Low fat milk / yogurt / coconut milk / goat's milk. Add
1/2 cup almonds, 1 egg + the shell (calcium, bananas, apples, grapes). Plus,
1 tbsp. wheat germ, 1 to 3 tbsps. molasses, and 1 tsp. bran. Mix in blender
Philippine Herbal Medicine
- a small tree whose leaves are an effective defense and cure for asthma and
cough. Anti-pyretic; used to control fever. Boil the leaves and taken in as
- Yerba Buena
- when taken as a tea, it is a natural analgesic.
- a shrub whose leaves can lower blood sugar, dissolve kidney stones, and
treat hypertension. Also diuretic. Take in as tea.
- Tsaang Gubat
- in tea form, it is good for poisoning and diarrhea.
- good for de-worming.
- a shrub whose leaves, when boiled, can be used as body wash and scrub to
cure fungal infections, scabs, psoriasis and other skin disorders.
(Ulasimang Bato) - a wild spring that
can be used in salads. Prevents gout, rheumatism, and uric-acid build up.
- lowers blood sugar levels; boosts the immune system, both fruits and
leaves are potent. Take in as tea or simply fresh. Quick
Ampalaya Salad: slice the fruit thinly and wash with a little
salt to remove bitterness. Throw in tomatoes, onions, crushed garlic and
apple cider / lemon juice with a few drops of olive oil.
- blood cleanser.
- use the leaves to make tea. Fights gingivitis and bad breath. Can be used
as mouth wash to control gum inflammation.
- natural antibiotic that boosts the immune system and controls
hypertension. Take the bulb fresh or cook with your favorite food.
- a fruit endemic to the Philippines and Polynesia whose juice has been
known to treat various ailments from hypertension to diabetes.